Sunday, July 8, 2012

Needing a Purpose

It never fails.

No matter if I'm visiting a different ward (congregation) or meeting in my own church building, I NEED SOMETHING TO DO!  I can't just sit around "learning".  :)  Okay that sounds funny, but my point is that I like to be involved somehow. 

A perfect example is the past two Sundays.  I am now living in Newport News (I'll discuss the move later), which means I have a brand new ward.  I must be a freak of nature cause even though I know NO ONE in the ward...I NEED to contribute/participate somehow.  But how do you convey that to strangers without seeming aggressive, conceited, or just plain weird?  Well I don't really know the answer to any of that, I just go and do.  :)

I first broke ground by commenting on a few ideas in the Sunday School lesson last week.  That may seem like tame business, but when you're new I believe all the heads turn and think "Who are you?".  Later, during Relief Society (the women's Sunday meeting) I discovered that we were about to sing acapella.  Now, I had to grab a hold of my big girl panties then and timidly raise my hand to inform the ladies that I could play the piano a little bit.  Of course that landed me right in front of the keys.

Fast forward to today.  (My records arrived!!!  Calling (assigned job at Church), here I am!!)  I enjoy a wonderfully discussed Sunday lesson and upon entering Relief Society......"Sister Feaster, could you play for us again??"  Yes!!!  They remember my name AND they want me to help!! 

So I'm sure this is a compulsive need for me to be involved in every bit of the things going on in my life, but there is something to it all.  In order to break into this new "herd", I have to put myself out there and allow them to "sniff" me out.  I mean honestly I can't expect to blend into the background and then wonder why I don't feel apart of my new ward family.  Its a bit scary and intimidating (will they like me?), but the payoff is worth it when I'm sitting pretty on that piano bench.....even if my playing is really probably the scariest thing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment